In the market for a new web hosting account? If so, chances are, you will not have a hard time finding a new host for your website. In fact, you will, most likely, end up facing a plethora of choices. The largest scam in our industry is the “unlimited hosting” plans. It is time we debunk them and expose the liars in the web hosting industry.
You do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that servers can not actually host anything unlimited. That would be like saying your iPod can store an unlimited amount of Justin Bieber songs. We all know that it simply is not possible. These web host that claim to offer unlimited bandwidth and disk space are hiding behind their Fair Use Policy and are out right liars. They are overselling. This is the act of selling hosting plans to clients and banking on the fact that the clients will not use the space and bandwidth. Furthermore, if the client starts using to much then the host can use their Fair Use Policy and kick the client to the curb.
Before signing up for these unlimited plans, it is critical that you look into the terms that apply to these accounts. I took some time to go out and look at some web hosts that offer unlimited plans. It is shocking to see the lies these hosts spew out to their customers. These are just a few limitations that can be found in their terms of service ;
- Using a shared account as a backup/storage device is not permitted.
- Any shared account using more than 20 gigs of disk space will be removed from our off site weekly backup.
- Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes
- The use of more than 25,000 inodes on any shared account may potentially result in a warning first, and if no action is taken future suspension. Every file (a webpage, image file, email, etc) on your account uses up 1 inode.
- Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 30 seconds is prohibited.
- Broadcast or Streaming of Live Sporting Events is prohibited.
- Commercial Audio Streaming prohibited.
Really? I thought this was unlimited everything. Unlimited disk space as long as I dont store to many files, or you will suspend me and stop taking backups? Due dilligence, walk lightly and choose a host that does not hide behind its false promises, lies and its Terms of Service or Fair Use Policy. Determine what you will be using and find a host that will give you your desired services for a reasonable price.
We have put together a video that we hope better explains this entire Unlimited Myth and hope you enjoy watching it.