We hope everyone is staying cool during this heat wave in the US! Here’s a few tips to help keep your computer healthy during the heat. Hard drives usually operate up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 Celsius) and spin between 7,000-10,000 RPM (Revolutions Per Minute). The average car engine operates around 175 degrees Fahrenheit and spins around 2,500 RPM’s. Pretty wild, huh?
– Cooling – make sure you blow out the dust and animal hair from your case and fans! This will help the fan circulate air and will keep it spinning freely.
– Room to breath – Make sure your computer has room to breath! Keep it as low as possible as heat rises. Also leave space between any walls and obstructions for maximum circulation.
– Ventilation in the computer room – It’s always a good idea to have ventilation in the room which your computer is in. Opening windows (as long as water won’t come in) and fans help to keep it cool.
– Air Conditioning – If you have access to an air conditioner and can use it, we recommend it highly. It will help cool down your computer just like it cools you down 🙂
– Turn it off when not in use! If you’re not using your computer then turn it off. Not only will it keep it cool, it will also save you money. Our servers are on all the time, just use them 🙂
– Set your power settings properly – Adjust your power settings for optimum conditions. After X amount of time your screen and hard disks should be turned off if not in use.
That’s all for now! Feel free to comment with more tips and suggestions!