We recently showed you How To: Add Your Website’s E-mail To Your Apple Device so we figured now we would show you how to add your e-mail to your Android device! The screen shots and directions are from Android 4.1.1 but should be similar on most versions of Android.
1. First, open the Email app (Note: Icon may look different on your device).
1A. If a screen similar to this one comes up, select “Others.”
2. A screen will open that looks like this:
Select whether you would like to access your e-mail via POP3 or IMAP. The main difference is that IMAP (Internet Messaged Access Protocol) syncs with your email server so that any changes you make will appear anywhere you access your e-mail via IMAP (Inbox, Drafts, Sent Mail, etc. will be synced across all devices).
POP (Post Office Protocol) is different in that your mail client and mail server are not synced. Any changes you make in your mail client will not be anywhere else except that particular client on that device. My personal preference is IMAP but you may use whichever one you like.
3. Enter your e-mail address and password, then click the “Manual Setup.”
4. Input your e-mail address as the “User name” and your password where it says “Password”. Change the IMAP or POP3 server to yourdomain.com (substituting yourdomain.com with your actual domain). The Security type should be ‘None’ and if you are using IMAP, the port should 143 (unless you have an SSL certificate). If you are using POP3, the port should be 110. Click the ‘Next’ button.
IMAP Port is 143.
POP3 Port is 110.
5. Input yourdomain.com as the SMTP server (substituting yourdomain.com with your actual domain). Select None as the Security Type and 587 for the port (if you don’t have an SSL certificate). Enter your username and password. 587 is the same port for both IMAP and POP3 but if 587 does not work, please try port # 26.
6. Next, select your update frequency and whether or not you would like to be notified when email arrives. Click Next.
7. Name the account whatever you would like and fill in your name. Click Done and you’re done!
If you have any questions just post a comment here and I’ll be more than happy to assist you.