Many of you recently awoke to the sudden issue of not being able to send mail. The issue you were experiencing with your email was due to the “POP before SMTP” feature being automatically disabled by a cPanel update. This feature allows you to continue to send mail for a time period after successfully receiving/checking your email.
POP before SMTP is antiquated alternative method of authentication that was never officially supported nor very secure. If you are still using this method, we recommend you enable SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
We have now reverted this change and enabled the POP before SMTP feature to allow users time to make changes to thier mail client. We do not currently have a time frame for how long we will continue to keep this feature active, but we will announce before it is removed.
Web Site running slow? Maybe your unlimited hosting is not really unlimited!
Choosing the right hosting company to host your business or personal web site can be a daunting task. So many Hosting companies in the market place are misrepresenting their services by offering unlimited hosting.
Truth of the matter is Unlimited Hosting does not exist. It is a sales gimmick to lure customers in by offering them everything for little or nothing. In reality, everything has a limit. These unscrupulous hosts bet on the fact that the vast majority of the clients that they trick into signing up with them will in fact never use very many resources. The clients that use a lot of resources are kicked to the curb and terminated without notice. This is done by citing the Terms of Service (TOS) which spells out in very fine terms what can be used. This is a highlight from a TOS from such a company:
10.2. Enforced resource limits for shared and reseller packages:
10% CPU Usage
5% Memory Usage (or 512 MB)
50 Running Processes
15 Minute Max Execution Time
100,000 Total Inodes
500 outgoing email messages per 60 minute period (all excess messages will be discarded and not delivered)
This is horrible considering the fact that when these poor clients signed up for service they were told everything was unlimited. At TotalChoice we do not place limits on our clients, because we do NOT oversell our servers. Unlimited hosts can stay in business because they depend on people not using the resources that they purchase. At TCH we want our clients to use the resources they bought and we leave it on the table for them to use at any time they need. This is why our hosting packages are very defined and the client knows what they are buying, it is their money after all.
Choose wisely my friends.
When it comes to choosing hosting for your business, it is important to choose wisely. Dedicated web hosting is simply the best type of hosting you can get for your website, if you are serious about your site. It will give you the entire server as your own resources, the ability to customize nearly everything, and you will be able to handle more traffic than any type of shared and VPS hosting.
* Dedicated web hosting can handle a higher volume of page requests than shared hosting or VPS hosting. This is because all the resources are yours and your hosting will be much faster. You will have faster site load times and visitors will be able to see your website or blog without any issues.
* Another big advantage of using a dedicated server is the ability to customize the security. Security is a very important part of your hosting. You will have to make the decision if you can risk being hacked by sharing a server with hundreds of other hosting accounts. Even with VPS hosting you are still sharing a server. VPS hosting will give you some custom security features, but it is not like dedicated hosting.
* When a server is shared between several clients, the host cannot allow any of them to access to certain features. However, when the server is used solely by your website you will be granted much greater access allowing you more control over the server. This affords businesses much more flexibility.
A dedicated server means you will have less to worry about and you will be able to make more money from your website. Dedicated server hosting may seem like a more expensive choice, but if you are looking for reliable hosting that offers all of the benefits, it is something that is well worth the investment.
Is a Dedicated Server the right choice for you?
Considering a dedicated server? A dedicated server is just that, it’s fully dedicated to you and you alone. All resources including CPU’s, memory and hard drives are dedicated to the specific client and the client has complete control over the server. Many clients have outgrown shared hosting accounts and need to move onto dedicated server plans. A dedicated client can customize the software or choose an operating system, after all it is a dedicated server. For the client that is not tech savvy, there is also TotalChoice’s world famous Fully Managed Servers. TCH handles every aspect of your server. We start with the move of your domains and data and then into monitoring and maintaining your TCH server. We have both managed and unmanaged dedicated servers available.
Another reason to consider a dedicated server is scalability. As your business grows you can add servers without the headache of worrying about space at your facility or the hiring of additional support. All these perks make a dedicated server the ideal choice!
Contact us today and we will be more than happy to discuss your hosting needs and custom build a dedicated server to fit your needs.
This is one question I get asked quite often. As everyone knows, web hosts are a dime a dozen and it appears everyone and their brother opens up a web hosting company. In the hosting trade we refer to these fly by night companies as “Summer Hosts”. Do not be fooled by these hosts. They may have a flashy cool website but it is the service that separates us from them.
Here are a few good things to look out for when choosing a web hosting company ::
1. Real time Status Pages hosted in a completely separate network and data center. The status pages at TCH are just that. I am talking status pages that show server loads and bandwidth utilization. The real time TCH Status Pages can be found here.
2. Up time reports for both network and each individual server. This is something most hosts simply will not publish. Is this because they are scared or embarrassed to present the numbers. Not at TCH. We publish up-times for each server and our network. No hiding behind false promises. The TCH Up-Time pages can be found here.
3. Public Forums. A host with nothing to hide allows users to publish unedited comments and reviews on a forum. TCH was one of the first hosting companies to offer a Forum for clients and guests to freely post and review our services. Our Forums can be found here.
4. Staff Directory. A host that outsources their support to some call center in another country will never discuss their staffing or allow clients to view photos and bios of the staff. At TCH we pride ourselves in no outsourcing. Every staff member works directly for TCH and we outsource nothing! Our staffing profile page can be found here.
5. Twenty four hour support. Yes, can you really comprehend a web hosting firm that does not staff their support team on a 24/7/365 basis. It is common place for this to happen. If you think about it, one of the most expensive parts of running a web hosting company is payroll to the staff. At TCH we are fully staffed all the time , no matter when. True 24/7/365 support is available and online. You can test this statement here.
6. Network and Longevity. Does your host own all of their own equipment? Most hosts simply rent their servers from other providers. Not at TCH. We own everything from the Fiber to the Switch and right down to the server. The best part is TCH is a debt free company and we have been in the business since 1999. We are here for the long run and you can trust TCH.
These are just a few things that separate the good hosting companies from the “Summer Hosts.”
Happy Hosting and good luck in your search for a new web host.